Origins of Project
When Mennonite Women USA called for an audit of Mennonite institutions in 2009, an opportunity for systemic change was created. After an examination of the numbers of women leaders in Mennonite institutions, it was clear that quantitative analysis was not enough. Thus the Women in Leadership Project (WLP) was born—an initiative to name and transform sexism in Mennonite Church USA.
Women Doing Theology
February 20 – 22, 2014 the Women in Leadership Project hosted a Women Doing Theology conference.All You Need is Love: Honoring the diversity of women’s voices in theology was held in Leesburg, Va., with almost 200 women in attendance. Through worship, workshops, paper presentations, large group conversations, circle groups and a slam poetry open mic women embodied their theology.
Participants did not talk about an easy love that tries to gloss over pain, suffering, anger and injustice. They wrestled with what it means to be a Christian community that holds all of these tensions and complexities. An offering of $2,600 was received during theconference to support the ongoing work of the Women in Leadership Project. The worship services from the conference are now available as printable resources online and a book project is being discussed with MennoMedia.
Let’s dream together
Over the next few months the Women in Leadership Project will be casting vision and planning strategically for the future of the project.
Will you be a partner in this work?
Here’s what to do:
Take some time in reflective prayer and meditation and write, draw, sculpt, paint — whatever will unleash your creativity and help you to imagine the possibilities inspired by these question:
How can you imagine the church transformed through the work of the Women in Leadership Project?
What role will you play in this work?
Send your ideas to Jenny at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Below are a few responses:
- Engage resources from All You Need is Love, a women’s theology conference organized by the Women in Leadership Project.
- Write on themes of Women in Leadership for the Menno Snapshots blog.
- Encourage your congregation to use the worship resources, Do You See This Woman?, available now.
- Lead a discussion in your congregation or workplace about transforming systemic sexism.
- Visit the John Howard Yoder Digest: Recent Articles About Sexual Abuse and Discernment for recent releases and articles from the Discernment Group on sexual abuse and the church.